How to autofill password on iOS?

Hey @eosa,
Start the Reporting Services Configuration tool and connect to a local report server instance and Click on Web Service URL.
Specify the virtual directory, Specify the IP address that uniquely identifies the report server computer on the network and Specify the port.

Do you have any insight into how to make the auto-fill show up? Are you doing anything different to my example?

Thanks.

the autofill seems to show up fine for us, but it unfortunately looks like figure B from your example (How to autofill password on iOS? - #24 by sjregan) which seems to be the incorrect way of seeing this work. it also only ever links to localhost instead of my domain. that being said, my associated-domains json file was not formatted correctly so on my next deploy im hoping it fixes my issues…

I’m also facing this issue :confused:

I have the same issue with it appearing as figure B above.

Just checking if anyone has tried this after releasing to the app store with the Autofill Credential Provider capability?

I am going to give this a go in the next couple of weeks and will report back.

Hey i think your side association file is broken try to check it with AASA Validator | Branch

i had the same issue as your for passwords and redirection and after checking it was the aasa file the issue

Thanks for the input, unfortunately those site validators do not work, it simply returns " Your server returned an error status code (>= 400)."

However, this is what the server actually returns:

❯ curl -I https://community.wearezipline.com/.well-known/apple-app-site-association
HTTP/2 200
server: nginx
date: Sun, 29 May 2022 23:21:23 GMT
content-type: application/json
content-length: 146
vary: Accept-Encoding

From the source code of validators I have been able to view, they do not account for HTTP/2.

The request returns HTTP status 200, and content-type application/json, and it follows the format specified by Apple and I have checked it against the format of other apps such as Facebook.

Yes, I have tried after App Store approval, it hasn’t made a difference.

The website is not broken, try with my domain who work with password completion:
https://neufmoispourtoi.app/
then all is good, and try with Facebook or others the tester validated them, only your website not
So it’s means your URL has issue, but i agree i don’t see witch one

I can also confirm now after releasing to the app store that I still have the same issue.

Using AASA Validator | Branch with my domain (member.hivepass.app) passes fine but I still have the password issue.
I do have member.hivepass.app for my deeplinks and go.hivepass.app for my dynamic links.

@sjregan I tried your file on my server (and removed again right after) and it works fine with all green ticks. Just thought it may be useful to confirm the file format is ok.

Just a reminder for anyone looking at this thread and changing there AASA to use this tool to check the AASA CDN cache. It should update every 24 hours… But it seems to be more frequent than that.
https://app-site-association.cdn-apple.com/a/v1/yourdomain.com

For anyone still fighting with this problem: I followed all the steps in this thread, site association file and adding entitlements. But I had to make one more change to get it to work, in the capacitor config file I added:

server: {
    hostname: 'yourserver.com'
  }

after that the password autofill suggestion works for me.

1 Like

Oh snap! Thank you, thank you, thank you! It’s working for me now too.

Yes this works, but be careful changing this. From the Capacitor docs:

It is recommended to keep this as localhost as it allows the use of Web APIs that would otherwise require a secure context such as navigator.geolocation…

This change solved my autofill problem, however, it broke other areas of my app that required https (i.e Stripe)

Good point!

Additionally, it will break images on Android if the images are hosted on the site using hostname.

So once again, we need a proper solution from the Ionic team. We are coming up to the two year anniversary of this issue. :roll_eyes:

A guide is now available on how to get autofill of credentials working with iOS and Android:
https://capacitorjs.com/docs/guides/autofill-credentials

The guide also covers the most common missteps in implementation.

That’s great. Thank you very much.

It would be great to get some clarity on how to ensure setting the capacitor server hostname does not break images loaded within Android apps that are hosted on the same host.

Currently the only approach I found is adding this to capacitor.config.ts:

if (process.argv[3] === 'android') {
  config.server.hostname = 'localhost'
}

I think your best bet there is to make sure your app has its own domain or subdomain.

Thanks but I’m not sure that will work.

If our client has a community on example.org and want an app for it, then the host name in the config has to be example.org so the users credentials for example.org are auto-filled in the app.

However, this means their uploaded avatars, or the images attached to their post will not load in the Android version.

Setting the app to a different host name will mean the credentials will not be auto-filled.