Help Upgrading my devDependencies

I have a rather long devDependencies list which would be hard to handle if they begin to throw ionic upgrade issues.

I am not sure what the latest Versions are currently. Please help me fix the versions to avoid ionic3x upgrade issues

“devDependencies”: {
“awesome-typescript-loader”: “^3.0.0-beta.9”,
“better-npm-run”: “0.0.11”,
“clean-webpack-plugin”: “^0.1.9”,
“codelyzer”: “0.0.28”,
“commitizen”: “2.8.6”,
“css-loader”: “^0.25.0”,
“cz-conventional-changelog”: “^1.1.5”,
“del”: “2.2.0”,
“extract-text-webpack-plugin”: “^1.0.1”,
“file-loader”: “^0.8.5”,
“ghooks”: “^1.3.2”,
“gulp”: “3.9.1”,
“gulp-shell”: “^0.5.2”,
“gulp-watch”: “4.3.5”,
“html-loader”: “^0.4.3”,
“html-webpack-plugin”: “^2.22.0”,
“ionic-gulp-webpack”: “2.0.0”,
“jasmine-core”: “^2.4.1”,
“json-loader”: “^0.5.4”,
“karma”: “1.2.0”,
“karma-chrome-launcher”: “^2.0.0”,
“karma-coverage”: “^1.0.0”,
“karma-jasmine”: “^1.0.2”,
“karma-phantomjs-launcher”: “^1.0.0”,
“karma-sourcemap-loader”: “^0.3.7”,
“karma-spec-reporter”: “0.0.26”,
“karma-webpack”: “^1.7.0”,
“node-sass”: “^3.8.0”,
“phantomjs-prebuilt”: “^2.1.7”,
“purifycss-webpack-plugin”: “^2.0.3”,
“run-sequence”: “1.1.5”,
“sass-loader”: “^4.0.1”,
“source-map-loader”: “^0.1.5”,
“standard-version”: “^2.2.1”,
“stats-webpack-plugin”: “^0.4.0”,
“style-loader”: “^0.13.1”,
“tslint”: “^3.10.1”,
“typedoc”: “^0.4.4”,
“typescript”: “^2.1.4”,
“url-loader”: “^0.5.7”,
“validate-commit-msg”: “^2.6.1”,
“webpack”: “^1.13.1”,
“webpack-dev-server”: “^1.14.1”,
“webpack-merge”: “^0.14.0”,
“webpack-validator”: “^2.2.2”,
“ts-helpers”: “1.1.1”,
“typings”: “1.3.3”

This looks really old. What version of Ionic does your code run in?

Runs in Ionic -v2. It was upgrade to that version previously. Now I am to upgrade to 3x.
You know, l
wonder why one cannot upgrade ionic code automatically like WordPress.

This is much more sophisticated and difficult to program than Wordpress. I would recommend you read up on NodeJS and npm before proceeding.

What is your ionic info output on the command line?

Because Ionic is software for mobile developers.
Wordpress is software for bloggers.

I still believe that Auto Update/Upgrade is possible with ionic framework, npm and node.
I am trying to update my dependencies but I am quite aware of the fact that this could lead to a serious drama because of how old this project is.
I have used npm prepare for a different project and it took me hours to get my dependencies fix. Any help on this list will be very much appreciated.
– thanks

Problem with packages.json is that the complexity is exponential with each dependency being added. For projects that just use the default stuff it would be very simple. For a project with other libraries, Cordova plugins and so on - not so much.

My advice:
Create a project with the current version, compare the package.json and copy over the relevant bits to your old one. Then match stuff that is interconnected (ionic native for example, additonal angular stuff) and then manage the other stuff individually. Build and fix all the broken stuff (reading the changelogs between the old and now new version is a good way to find out what has to be fixed).

1 Like

Thanks sir. Already working on it

Ionic no longer uses typings or gulp. Maybe you need them because of some special thing you’re doing (which is part of why I suggested you learn some about Node). But if you’re just trying to build something “normal and simple,” then there are probably several libraries here that you no longer want. To give you one data point, I have several outside libraries, and I don’t use typings or gulp.