HD Video recording Ionic 4/5 - any up to date repos?

I used VideoCapturePlus in the past - but it hasn’t been updated in years.

Does anyone know of a fork or other repo that has actually not been completely abandoned that will allow HD video recording on Android 10+ and iOS 13+?

If I can’t find any maintained plugins, I will move this project to Flutter I think.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Have you tried a stock HTML5 approach?

Well yes, I am using that for the browser based release of my app. I guess my main concern is being able to record in HD.

With the stock HTML5 approach, can I guarantee a minimum WxH i.e. HD resolution of the resulting video?

If so then I can do away with plugins altogether, which would be nice, perhaps even use the Canvas Camera type setup?

Cheers.

I would expect that would depend on the device. I would investigate using constraints to ask the device what it can provide.

I would be surprised if the HTML5 approach was incapable of delivering anything a plugin could deliver, if for no other reason than I would expect the browser to be using fundamentally the same underlying capability to deliver the data.

So I read the link you provided, interesting. However it seems like it is basically a recommendation and not a given that you will get what you ask for from the browser.

Add to that the info here: https://blog.addpipe.com/video-quality-when-recording-videos-from-safari-on-ios-through-html-media-capture/

and I don’t think I can achieve what I want without going down the the plugin level.

Keep us posted. I still think it’s worth a go, especially since that pessimistic link you have is several years old.

So I just tried my app on Chrome Android, video recording works fine. Great.

Then I tried Safari on iOS 13.4.1: Video doesn’t work through the MediaRecorder API.

Double checked the support at caniuse.com and yep - not supported by default.

So gonna have to do the native app / flutter.

Shame really as it would’ve been really cool to have the web app working everywhere.

i have used successfully media-capture plugin, it is old, but it worked fine

Was the video actually HD on both Android and iOS though?

Does it work on iOS 11+? Android 7+?

Interested to know how you used it.

I use the Media Capture plugin but it defaults to MMS quality but does provide options to change to a high res format however this requires user interaction and kinda bad ux for our app…even with setting quality: 1. I havent found a workaround yet.

I’ve looked into this extensively recently for an App that we’re building.

VideoCapturePlus gets you HD video on IOS but doesn’t work for Android at all (even after I forked it and updated some xml issues in the build process).

Media capture plugin gets you a max resolution of 360x480 on IOS. It has a video quality setting for Android only; but I haven’t checked the resulting video resolution on Android as I’m focusing on IOS first.

I have downloaded the enterprise supported media capture plugin after talking with the Ionic enterprise team, however after incorporating it into our app, the resolution is still only 360x480.

I’m waiting on a response from the Ionic team on the best approach to record HD video in an Ionic native application on IOS and Android.

Last resort if there is truly no option, I’ll likely have to do the work to update the Media Capture plugin myself. If I get it working I’ll PR it back.