Handle complex/secondary navigation in Ionic app

Hi…!! I am new to Ionic. Coming from a background of Angular, it was very easy to handle complex routes such as “/user/:userId/profile/:id/:newId” . However, I am unable to understand how does this work on Ionic v3, because we are going to start development on an application that requires routes like these. Could anyone please suggest me some resources that guide me on this topic? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The news isn’t good. Ionic routing envisioned a much simpler situation – an app on a phone with a few different pages. So right now, you have to roll your own complex routing logic and use the navController page by page. Ionic is working on a routing overhaul intended for PWA’s, but no idea when that will happen.

So, how bad would it be as an idea, if I make use of Angular routing inside Ionic app… One of the disadvantages I can think of would be the Back button won’t be available.

Not sure what you mean by this. You can’t move to an Ionic page with the Angular router. Simulate Angular routing? Sure, but you’d have to write the simulator. On the other hand, maybe all you need is the DeepLinker. It depends how fancy you want your routing to be.

you probably understood what I wanted to ask.

I wanted to know, can I use angular routing in an Ionic application. I’ve faced a lot of issues when I tried using Deeplinker. It was not able to resolve to the state with a url as “/teams/:teamId/cluster/:clusterId” when teamId and clusterId were missing, especially on reload. And I had to write a lot of work arounds to make this work.

If you look at Github issues, you aren’t alone. A lot of people have run into this. But as of today, I’m pretty sure the answer to your question is no.

Thankyou for your time :slight_smile: