Google Cloud Endpoints + Ionic + GCM or FCM?

I’m working on my first ionic app, and would like to implement push notifications. I’m asking this question to avoid headaches and time wasted along the way.

I’ve set up an Ionic app to work with an API built using Google Cloud Endpoints. The Ionic Push Service guide specifies Google Cloud Messaging as the service which facilitates push notifications. The GCM page notifies that FCM is now the successor to GCM:

Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) is the new version of GCM. It inherits the reliable and scalable GCM infrastructure, plus new features! See the FAQ to learn more. If you are integrating messaging in a new app, start with FCM. GCM users are strongly recommended to upgrade to FCM, in order to benefit from new FCM features today and in the future.

The naming of the new service (FCM) indicates that it is more aligned with the whole Firebase platform that Google is pushing to the market, alongside Google App Engine.

Are there any incompatible issues with FCM and Ionic+Cloud Endpoints? Should I use FCM or GCM?

Thank you :slight_smile:

I just found FCM and Firebase, not sure about the integrations yet, but free push notifications look good, along with analytics, database access etc…