File permissions with Google Play Developer Program Policy Update

Hi there!

I received an email from Google with Google Play Developer Program Policy Update and I have a doubt.

I use file and file-opener plugins to write and open files. The route I use is externalDataDirectory and my API level is 21+ and target SDK 28.

Can I have problems with this update?

All Files Access Permission

Files and directory attributes on a user’s device are regarded as personal and sensitive user data subject to the Personal and Sensitive Information policy and the following requirements:

• Apps should only request access to device storage which is critical for the app to function, and may not request access to device storage on behalf of any third-party for any purpose that is unrelated to critical user-facing app functionality.

• Android devices running R (Android 11, API Level 30) or later, will require the MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission in order to manage access in shared storage. All apps that target R and request broad access to shared storage (“All files access”) must successfully pass an appropriate access review prior to publishing. Apps allowed to use this permission must clearly prompt users to enable “All files access” for their app under “Special app access” settings. For more information on the R requirements, please see this help article.

Thanks in advanced.