Extend ionic / add custom fonts/icons (ionic.config.json)

Thanks for your answers and great explanations!

1. I remove the existing sass task and just replaced it with your example. The issues with the includePath were Webstorm specific. I am still trying different IDEs to find my favorite one.

2. I used the provide example with the <i> element. That’s alright :slight_smile:

This has been a very helpful thread. I’m trying to implement the weather-icons font in my project. But I’m stuck because, unlike font-awesome, they use less. there is a pre-compiled css file however. Any clue how I can include it with the sass gulp task?

Hi @jasonwaters, I think it’s better to open separate topic for this question/issue, because I already marked this topic as solved.

Good Morning. I tried to carry out this step by step, but my project can not find the the Font Awesome files. He can find it in the folder node_modules still on the app icon appears only a square, as if he had not caught the family source.
In the ‘ionic serves’ it shows the message that failed to find or the file is unreadable.

Well that could have an official topic on the use of custom fonts, it is something that everyone uses.

Need help :confused:

@daniel_rf121 Have you added @import "font-awesome" in your app/theme/app.core.scss file? Have you updated both your sass and files tasks in gulpfile.js as explained in the following comment? Also make sure that you’re using them correctly, e.g.:

<i class="fa fa-heart"></i>

Yes, I performed all the steps. Font Awesome installed via NPM, then I added the codes in gulpfile and used the @import in the core. still displaying the error:

Starting ‘sass’…
app/theme/app.core.scss
Error: File to import not found or unreadable: font-awesome
Parent style sheet: /Users/danielrodrigues/Projects/funlife-ionic/app/theme/app.core.scss
on line 10 of app/theme/app.core.scss

@import “font-awesome”;

@daniel_rf121 Try importing it this way:

1 Like

Yes. So it works in the web browser. But when I deploy to a device does not work.

@daniel_rf121 Actually after looking closer at this, you should use only @import "font-awesome"; if you configured both sass and files tasks properly in gulpfile.js. Also note that you should not just add the code from the comment to your gulpfile.js - you have to replace the existing tasks with the same names (or delete these). And check if the FontAwesome font files are copied to your www/build/fonts folder.

See how is my gulpfile. The part that is highlighted is that we included.

var gulp = require('gulp'),
gulpWatch = require('gulp-watch'),
del = require('del'),
runSequence = require('run-sequence'),
argv = process.argv;

/**
* Ionic hooks
* Add ':before' or ':after' to any Ionic project command name to run the specified
* tasks before or after the command.
*/
gulp.task('serve:before', ['watch']);
gulp.task('emulate:before', ['build']);
gulp.task('deploy:before', ['build']);
gulp.task('build:before', ['build']);

// we want to 'watch' when livereloading
var shouldWatch = argv.indexOf('-l') > -1 || argv.indexOf('--livereload') > -1;
gulp.task('run:before', [shouldWatch ? 'watch' : 'build']);

/**
* Ionic Gulp tasks, for more information on each see
* https://github.com/driftyco/ionic-gulp-tasks
* Using these will allow you to stay up to date if the default Ionic 2 build
* changes, but you are of course welcome (and encouraged) to customize your
* build however you see fit.
*/
var buildBrowserify = require('ionic-gulp-browserify-typescript');
var buildSass = require('ionic-gulp-sass-build');
var copyHTML = require('ionic-gulp-html-copy');
var copyFonts = require('ionic-gulp-fonts-copy');
var copyScripts = require('ionic-gulp-scripts-copy');

var isRelease = argv.indexOf('--release') > -1;

gulp.task('watch', ['clean'], function(done){
    runSequence(
        ['sass', 'html', 'fonts', 'scripts'],
        function(){
            gulpWatch('app/**/*.scss', function(){ gulp.start('sass'); });
            gulpWatch('app/**/*.html', function(){ gulp.start('html'); });
            buildBrowserify({ watch: true }).on('end', done);
        }
    );
});

gulp.task('build', ['clean'], function(done){
    runSequence(
        ['sass', 'html', 'fonts', 'scripts'],
        function(){
            buildBrowserify({
                browserifyOptions: {
                    debug: !isRelease
                }
            }).on('end', done);
        }
    );
});

+ gulp.task('sass', function(){
+   return buildSass({
+     sassOptions: {
+       includePaths: [
+         'node_modules/ionic-angular',
+         'node_modules/ionicons/dist/scss',
+         'node_modules/font-awesome/scss'
+       ]
+     }
+   });
+ });

+ gulp.task('fonts', function(){
+   return copyFonts({
+     src: [
+       'node_modules/ionic-angular/fonts/**/*.+(ttf|woff|woff2)',
+       'node_modules/font-awesome/fonts/**/*.+(eot|ttf|woff|woff2|svg)'
+     ]
+   });
+ });

gulp.task('sass', buildSass);
gulp.task('html', copyHTML);
gulp.task('fonts', copyFonts);
gulp.task('scripts', copyScripts);
gulp.task('clean', function(){
    return del('www/build');
});

@daniel_rf121 Both tasks are being redefined/reset at the end of the file, i.e. delete the following lines:

// ...

- gulp.task('sass', buildSass);
  gulp.task('html', copyHTML);
- gulp.task('fonts', copyFonts);
  gulp.task('scripts', copyScripts);
  gulp.task('clean', function(){
    return del('www/build');
  });

Good evening my friend, I managed to make it work. I removed the lines you listed, deleted the build folder, then run the ionic serve command again. The gulp could import sources to the folder just right. Now I will try to make the import of icomoon.

Thanks a lot for the help.

1 Like

I followed the same steps, but using other type of font (google maven), which is local under my app folder. I then copied all the fonts with the gulp task to www/build/fonts.

In the app.variable I tried to set $font-family-base to have my custom font name.

When I run the app and debug it, my custom font is there, but current font-family is still the old one.

Any clue?

Hi,

@tim @brandyshea
the projects, generated with the new ionic-cli 2.1, using ionic 2.0.0-rc.0 do not have gulpfile.js anymore. What is the way to add custom fonts and icons now?

I must use both font-awesome and other custom fonts in my application, so it’s really important to know how to do it with the new build process.

Thanks!

Edit: I found out that everything from the src/assets/ directory is already configured to be copied in the www/assets/ directory, so custom fonts can be just dropped there and referenced from the scss file.
Still wondering how to use fonts and scss from external libraries, installed with npm, like font-awesome.

1 Like

I do like this:

1. Copy/paste font-awesome files (.ttf, .woff, .woff2) to src/assets/fonts directory.

2. Copy/paste font-awesome.scss to src/theme of your app.

3. Open font-awesome.scss and add below font-face instead of exist:

@font-face {
    font-family: ‘FontAwesome’;
    src: url(‘…/assets/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.eot?v=4.6.3’);
    src: url(‘…/assets/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.eot?#iefix&v=4.6.3’) format(‘embedded-opentype’), url(‘…/assets/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff2?v=4.6.3’) format(‘woff2’), url(‘…/assets/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff?v=4.6.3’) format(‘woff’), url(‘…/assets/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.ttf?v=4.6.3’) format(‘truetype’), url(‘…/assets/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.svg?v=4.6.3#fontawesomeregular’) format(‘svg’);
    font-weight: normal;
    font-style: normal;
    }

Notice: Your font-awesome version might be different from 4.6.3, so check it before copy!

1. Open variables.scss file which is in the src/theme and import font-awesome like below:

@import "font-awesome";

1. Done! :relaxed: You can use font-awesome classes in your app like below:

<ion-icon class="fa fa-heart"></ion-icon>

7 Likes

Yes, it’s always an option to copy the font-awesome’s files in the /src/assets directory. But I would like to know how to use it as npm package instead, because I would not like to mix my own code with library code and I would like to manage it via npm and update it easier.
At this point it’s still not clear to me if there’s a way to do it, because the gulpfile.js is removed from the new build process and there are no overridable configurations of the new build tasks at project level.

3 Likes

Just figured this out for the Ionic 2 Release Candidate:

2 Likes

@pdrosos did you mind a way? I wasn’t able to do it.

@scottlott thanks for the link. I tried doing it this approach. copy everything you had but it didn’t work.

Did anyone get @scottlott example to work?

Arcen, could you paste in the error message you’re getting?

You do need to have fs-extras installed, so try running this command:
npm install --save fs-extra

@scottlott Not getting an error. After following the steps i wasn’t able to use font-awesome. is there another step i might have been missing?