Downloading Pictures from Ionic App onto a PC

Hi Folks,

Just to give you a little background of what I’m trying to do, I’ve built an ionic app that allows me to take pictures and enter a little information about each picture (or a group of pictures) using form inputs. I’ve managed to download the pictures taken using a third party IOS file system browser, and then e-mail the data on the pictures, then using simple(ish) macro combine the pictures and data to create a report.

What I’m really looking for is a “one click” method of creating these reports rather than these multiple steps. I’ve searched far and wide, but haven’t found much info on this, apologies if I’ve missed something obvious. I have three main queries on this:

1. Is there a way of creating a piece of software that will look at the files from a specific app and download pictures, data, etc?

2. Is there a way of compiling this report (preferably for MS word) with pictures directly on the phone? Then I could simply e-mail this report. As a side note, I know that you can create a document that MS Word will recagnise using html tags, but I’m not sure how to embed pictures into the text.

3. This is a question to better my understanding of the file structure of IOS Apps rather than a help with my problem. ITunes does not find the pictures in my app, how does can I take pictures within an ionic app and then download it using ITunes? I’ve not found information on this, and I’m sure I’m not the first to be curious about how this can be done.

Bear in mind that although I’m using a Mac OS to develop this, the end user will likely have a Windows PC, but any info on this would be much appreciated.

Look forward to your replies.

First, i would never generate a microsoft bullsh** document. This will be very difficult because it is not an open standard.

I would do the following (if you do not want to add a backend):

1. Take the image in your app (store it as base64 string --> you can do it by configuring the cordova camera or media plugin)
  2. generate a PDF with a frontend pdf library --> i used this: http://pdfmake.org/#/ and it works very well. easy to style and add additional content in the pdf like images.
  3. download pdf (there is a method included in the pdfmake lib
  4. use email-composer plugin to send email with already attached pdf

Take a look at the PDFMake playground for examples:
http://pdfmake.org/playground.html

1 Like

Great solution for bengtler for 2), pdf on the client side seems like a great way forward.

Any ideas out there for questions:

1. Is there a way of creating a piece of software that can access app data on an IPhone from a PC?
    and
  2. ITunes does not find the pictures in my app, how does one take pictures within an ionic app and then download it using ITunes? I’ve not found information on this, and I’m sure I’m not the first to be curious about how this can be done.