Cordova + Ionic 2/3 sadly unusable on iOS. PLEASE tell me i am wrong

First, let me just say, we LOVE ionic … its amazing for all the obvious reasons…

What was not obvious to us? — all the problems as it relates to memory usage (leaks) on iOS.

We have been testing several iterations of ionic apps.

The most basic app alone, generated by the CLI using the Tabs template and then adding a simple form to one or more of those pages within it presents an ever increasing amount of Memory usage on iOS (safari UIWebView, WKWebView) when switching from one page to another … albeit, small increases … technically the app would crash eventually … but more importantly … APPLE will NOT allow an app that leaks memory in the app store.

Where this problem REALLY shines is within any app that makes use of Native features. Use a native feature like File or MediaPlugin and Memory usage grows with every instance by ENORMOUS amounts, DESPITE releasing instances after use.

Something as simple as recording a 5 second audio clip via the MediaPlugin and then deleting it and releasing the instance does NOT clear memory.

We are digging into the plugins to see if we can troubleshoot these issues, but thats an enormous undertaking … Apple’s tools do not really provide a way of tracking memory usage inside of a Cordova app.

Has ANYONE run into this problem or have ANY advice on how to avoid these memory issues?

2 Likes