Carpool application - SpringBoot + Ionic?

First post here :slight_smile:

I’m about to undertake my bachelors final year project and would like some suggestions/feedback if possible?

It’s a carpool application, with functionality such as signing up etc, setting routes and suggesting the best routes etc… I wanted it to be available to work well on ios/android & also useable as a desktop site. Ionic looks great for this, but I was wondering if it would work well to use Spring Boot to handle the server side programming?

Thanks,

Travis

Do you already know Spring? If you only use it for the backend, I don’t see why you need a “run everywhere” tool like that. It isn’t public-facing. The run-everywhere code would be the Ionic app that the user installs. So you could use whatever backend language is best for the situation.

Spring feels a bit … much for such a simple app - but sure it would work just fine.

I was thinking it might be. I’m used to Spring Boot though. What are some simpler frameworks I could look into? I don’t want to end up over complicating it just for the sake of me knowing it a bit better.

Already knowing something always trumps possible complexity reduction, especially for such projects where your professor might prefer Spring Boot because he tought you how to use it :wink:

If you are into PHP, Laravel comes to mind.
For node.js, a super simple express app for example.

Aha I’m sure once I’ve suggested anything to my professor they will have another solution!

I’ve seen some good feedback on Firebase as a backend for storing all of my data. Have you had any experience with it yourself?

Thank you for the feedback as well :slight_smile: