Beta7 typography.css

New projects with current CLI are creating beta5 so I then removed node_modules and manually changed package to upgrade to beta 7 and npm installed.
Now I’m up to Beta7.

The first issue is that the global.scss is calling for @ionic/angular/css/colors.css which breaks the build.
I copied the file from a previous project and that is resolved (although - why? Is it just a missing file? )

But past that problem I get to the meat of the topic title:
@ionic/angular/css/typography.css
Beta7 - typography.css makes my default font serif/times while the previous versions kept roboto or some sans serif.
Images below.

The beta7 starts with html{ while the previous versions used :root

If I replace the :root way in my beta7 project all is as it was but should I not be doing that?

Beta7 - typography.css:

html{font-family:var(--ion-font-family)}a{background-color:transparent;color:var(--ion-color-primary, #3880ff)}h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6{margin-top:16px;margin-bottom:10px;font-weight:500;line-height:1.2}h1{margin-top:20px;font-size:var(--ion-header-size, 26px)}h2{margin-top:18px;font-size:calc(var(--ion-header-size, 26px) - var(--ion-header-step, 2px))}h3{font-size:calc(var(--ion-header-size, 26px) - var(--ion-header-step, 2px) * 2)}h4{font-size:calc(var(--ion-header-size, 26px) - var(--ion-header-step, 2px) * 3)}h5{font-size:calc(var(--ion-header-size, 26px) - var(--ion-header-step, 2px) * 4)}h6{font-size:calc(var(--ion-header-size, 26px) - var(--ion-header-step, 2px) * 5)}small{font-size:75%}sub,sup{position:relative;font-size:75%;line-height:0;vertical-align:baseline}sup{top:-.5em}sub{bottom:-.25em}

Beta5/6 - typography.css:
:root[mode=ios]{--ion-font-family: -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Helvetica Neue", "Roboto", sans-serif;font-family:-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Helvetica Neue", "Roboto", sans-serif}:root[mode=md]{--ion-font-family: "Roboto", "Helvetica Neue", sans-serif;font-family:"Roboto", "Helvetica Neue", sans-serif}a{background-color:transparent;color:var(--ion-color-primary, #3880ff)}h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6{margin-top:16px;margin-bottom:10px;font-weight:500;line-height:1.2}h1{margin-top:20px;font-size:var(--ion-header-size, 26px)}h2{margin-top:18px;font-size:calc(var(--ion-header-size, 26px) - var(--ion-header-step, 2px))}h3{font-size:calc(var(--ion-header-size, 26px) - var(--ion-header-step, 2px) * 2)}h4{font-size:calc(var(--ion-header-size, 26px) - var(--ion-header-step, 2px) * 3)}h5{font-size:calc(var(--ion-header-size, 26px) - var(--ion-header-step, 2px) * 4)}h6{font-size:calc(var(--ion-header-size, 26px) - var(--ion-header-step, 2px) * 5)}small{font-size:75%}sub,sup{position:relative;font-size:75%;line-height:0;vertical-align:baseline}sup{top:-.5em}sub{bottom:-.25em}

Also, notice that the ion-router-outlet.ion-content cuts off the text. I have to edit the ion-router-outlet.ion-content to increase the height to see it.

Here is a fresh project started ( CLI builds Beta5 ):

Here is after upgrade to Beta7:

Once having updated to beta.7, did you also update the breaking changes introduced with beta.6? colors.css has been moved to core.css, maybe that solves the problem?

Okay, that explains the colors issue - thanks.

Any thought on why the font issue?

Not really, I could track the change

The source is that issue https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic/issues/15170 followed by that PR https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic/pull/15220

But when I do this I think I come to the conclusion it should still be roboto no?

In core.css

html.ios {
 --ion-default-font: -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Helvetica Neue", "Roboto", sans-serif;
}
html.md {
 --ion-default-font: "Roboto", "Helvetica Neue", sans-serif;
}
1 Like

I don’t know, now I can’t get it to use Roboto at all.
I think I taxed my system and need to reboot my roboto.

When you create a new Beta 7 project from CLI, does it go to Beta 7 or 5?
When you do get to 7 - which font defaults for you?

Likely just me and mine.

Yep from scratch it’s still beta.5, but you know, they are going so fast, they released 3 betas this week, I understand there is sometimes a small delay of a couple of days till they update the start app

then about the second question, when I run it strait away without changes I get “Roboto, Helevetica Neue, sans-serif” with beta.5

Now after upgrade to beta.7 I still get “Roboto, Helevetica Neue, sans-serif” too

Tested on element ion-content

To upgrade I did

npm remove @ionic-angular --save
npm install   @ionic-angular@4.0.0-beta.7 --save

then edited manually global.scss to change color to core.css paying attention to have it sorted first

Understood about the beta releases pouring out this week - which is good.

Are you suggesting the color to core.css is affecting the font?
I thought it was n the typography.css.

Yes, see my previous msg Beta7 typography.css

“In core.css”…

Ok, thanks a Ton!
I’ll have to try it tomorrow - I’m neck deep in plumbing & countertop replacement.

1 Like

Good luck with plumbing, let me know tomorrow if it worked or not

I mean both tasks, plumbing and typography :wink:

Ok, not unlike my Ionic4 apps, the plumbing is at a stage where I can use it, it just ain’t pretty yet.

It seems that just replacing colors.css and typography.css with core.css does the trick.
Cheers & TY

Cool, congrats for the plumbing and Ionic :wink:

Ps note I think you should just replace colors.css, typography.css should remain