Hello fellow Ionic users!
Audio has been a regular source of issues for my app, with each solution I tried having its own quirks and/or performance issues. I finally bit the bullet and decided to write my own Cordova plugin to solve my particular use case well.
Here’s a brief overview of what the plugin does and does not do:
This is a Cordova plugin to add simple audio feedback to your mobile applications. The intended use is for adding app-specific tap and swipe sounds to your UI components.
In creating this plugin, we had the following goals:
- Mix with other audio playing on the device without interruption or ducking.
- Low-latency playback with little-to-no impact on the main thread.
- No visible audio playback UI on the device or any paired wearable devices.
As this plugin is intended to play quick UI feedback sound effects:
- Sounds play immediately
- Looping and stereo positioning are unavailable
- Simultaneous playback is unavailable: You can play only one sound at a time
- The sound is played locally on the device speakers; it does not use audio routing.
- Playback volume is linked to the device’s system audio channel, meaning no sounds are played while the device is in silent/vibrate mode.
If this sounds useful to you visit the GitHub repo to try it out!