After splash screen, display white screen long time

Can you send me your code and your ionic version please. is this just happen in prod mode ?

Yes, this is one of the problems which should be removed from Cordovaā€¦

For our company we only have a splash screen on IOS.
Also in cordova it didnā€™t seem like we ever even installed any splash screen plugin, must of been built in?

When I build a dev version of the app I still get the white screen for 5-6 seconds.
I have added the following in the config.xml.

<platform name="android">
        <allow-intent href="market:*" />
        <preference name="ShowSplashScreen" value="false" />
        <preference name="SplashScreenDelay" value="30000" />
        <preference name="SplashShowOnlyFirstTime" value="false" />

Still get the white screen.

I build a release signed version and pushed that to the phone. I still get the white screen. Seems a little shorter. Maybe 4 seconds.

Exactly.

Yesterday, I downloaded 40 - 50 free Angular, React tutorial apps which I found by searching ā€˜learn angularā€™ on google play store.

I could definitely tell which of them are cordova apps.
The ones built on cordova have the same problems: gray blank screen on start, white blank splash screen or stuck at white blank splash screen.
Some of these apps were stuck at white splash screen and couldnā€™t get into their home screens.
Now I know these apps are cordova apps. One even had ion spinner running.
I couldnā€™t make good use of those apps which had errors and I would definitely rate them below other apps which didnā€™t have this issues.

My testing device is HPā€™s 10 inch android tablet running Lollipop OS.
Another problem of cordova splash screen is its usage of picture files. When those picture files are enlarged on HP 10 inch tablet, their quality got significantly reduced & showed distorted pixels.

This issue must be addressed in adovcado project. Cordovaā€™s buggy splash screen canā€™t co-exist with high quality app development. The white blank screen should never be a part of normal development process.

1 Like

I admit that Iā€™m not an Android user or experienced developer but Iā€™ve definitely ran into more issues with my ionic app running on Android than iOS. My problem is that Iā€™m not sure how to track down the issues or figure out whether a plugin is at fault or if itā€™s related to the userā€™s device/Android skin.

I had my app booting to a blank white screen on any Android version less than 7.0, so I set my minSDK to 24 and only release it for the small subset of Android users on AOSP 7 or 8. That solved the problem for most of my users, but some still report white screens or random crashes on their phones including S7 Edge, while a regular S7 and S8 series works fine. With all of the different hardware targets and Touchwiz vs. stock vs. each hardware makerā€™s skin, itā€™s impossible to test everything via my one development device or via emulators. For now Iā€™ve just spent time focusing on content improvements and iOS improvements/marketing, since Android seems to be a bit messy.

I wouldnā€™t be so quick to blame cordova or the ionic team though, James, since each android hardware maker has their own Android fork, and carriers add their software, and youā€™ve also got users with rooted devices and all sorts of other variables that make it a complex issue.

That being said, I would love to see more stability on the android side of things, since iOS seems pretty rock solid and reliable!

2 Likes

We had a cordova app. Maybe saw a white screen for a second. Its once have moved over to Angular 2 and Ionic do we get the white screen a lot more.

Yes, I could observe this white splash screen behavior on low-mid android smartphones, a little bit older tablets regardless of what the app developers intended. Some apps will be stuck at white splash screen on start and will not progress to home page at all.

I carry eight android testing devices including two tablets, one 12 inch android book, five smartphones of all kinds. This problem is a legitimate & observable problem of Cordova. This thread has been visited 18,000 times since it started in early 2017. That tells everything.

Thankfully, Ionic team is now working on developing their own native layer which will replace Cordova. I hope this problem gets solved soon.

https://ionic-team.github.io/avocado/

1 Like

Thanks for sending the link to the avocado project, even if thereā€™s not very much information there itā€™s interesting that the ionic team is taking it into their own hands to fix and it sounds like more information should be coming soon (early 2018).

Iā€™m actually super happy to hear that theyā€™re working on a native bridge as I have a lot of faith in their development team and the community, and using cordova plugins are my least favorite part of ionic.

1 Like

Iā€™m very excited about this change mainly because of its removal of cordova splash screen & ability to use androidā€™s Java API and iOS Object-C API.

Ionic CLI, web browser development environment, use of angular 5 are phenomenal and definitely a big step forward from Phonegap. However, open source & aged Cordova carries its problems that need to be dealt.

1 Like

Maybe if your app crash itā€™s due to memory overflow. which can be cause by bad unsuscribe observable. Take a look at this kind of article https://netbasal.com/when-to-unsubscribe-in-angular-d61c6b21bad3

I guess still no solution?
Doing a build with --dev (on a S7) the white screen is there for 6 seconds.
Doing the build with --prod the white screen is almost 3 seconds.

Is the white screen just waiting for the app to load?

Thereā€™s no solution to this problem yet.
Itā€™s a permanent behavior of Cordova splash screen which couldnā€™t be fixed for this many years.
I personally see the gray blank screen & white screen as stigma mark which cordova gives to all of its apps.

My app displays white splash screen and canā€™t get into home screen on older smartphones running android 4.4. And all Cordova apps will display gray blank screen for a few seconds on start.

The solution is patiently waiting for Ionic teamā€™s Avocado which will replace Cordova. It wonā€™t come with this kind of bizarre splash screen problems.

HTML & CSS3 are much superior to XML in terms of styling UI. However it comes with costsā€¦

HTML5 & CSS3 have the best UI solutions among code languagesā€¦ and I think itā€™s totally right to use HTML5 & CSS3 for better UI than using XML so if Ionic team makes a platform which can improve all downsides of Cordova, I think this hybrid mobile app development will last much longer.

please check settings config xml

Hello everyone! I read every post in this topic, try every solution and link to articles, try with and without crosswalk, try on cordova-android 6.3.0 and cordova-android 7.0.0 and still has an issue.

On IOS devices and android 4.2.2 real device all works fine, but on android 6.0.1 / 7.0.0 / 7.1.1 / 8.0.0 real devices not work fade out animation at all and during change from splashscreen to view I have a white screen blink during 1 second.

Here is my topic with config. I also try --prod and --aot and increase SplashScreenDelay to 30000 and nothing helps.

Can anybody help me please?

UPDATE: found solution. Problem was in request android permissions before call splashscreen.hide()

its help ,Thanks Itā€™s work !!

Nice !! it works for me thank you

Yeah we also had a white screen since we setup the splash screen. I admin I didnā€™t add the splash screen myself so I just thought it was normal behaviour. I just put the time yesterday to try and fix the problem. The problem for us was we were calling splashscreen.hide() way too early. Now we call it in nav.setRoot().then() and I get a clean transition. Even calling it just before nav.setRoot() left still a white screen for a fraction of a second.

Iā€™d suggest running application in browser like this :

ionic cordova run browser --prod --release

This way we are able to debug any errors in browser console, which is quick, simple and effective.

The reason why prod release helps is because this line

<preference name="SplashScreenDelay" value="3000" >

causes it to dissappear after 3000 ms no matter if the app has loaded or not. Remove that line so it dissappears when the platform ready has fired in your app.component constructor.

This line might also help
<preference name="AutoHideSplashScreen" value="false">

nice. Itā€™s working perfectly in ionic 4.