Add attribute to capacitor-cordova-android-plugins ShareChooserPendingIntent receiver

In attempt to update the targetSdkVersion to 31 I have encountered this merge manifest error:

Error: android:exported needs to be explicitly specified for . Apps targeting Android 12 and higher are required to specify an explicit value for android:exported when the corresponding component has an intent filter defined.

The file causing this issue is capacitor-cordova-android-plugins/src/main/AndroidManifest.xml at application/receiver “nl.xservices.plugins.ShareChooserPendingIntent”.

<receiver android:name="nl.xservices.plugins.ShareChooserPendingIntent" android:enabled="true">
  <intent-filter>
    <action android:name="android.intent.action.SEND"/>
  </intent-filter>
</receiver>

Build works fine when I manually add the attribute android:exported="false" to the receiver but the problem is that this file is regenerated upon sync/build.

How can I add this attribute without manually editing the file?

You can use a hook to edit the file programmatically.

But ideally, it should be fixed on the plugin, it has several pull requests that fix the issue, but none merged yet, so you can use a fork from one of the pending pull requests.

Thanks.

Here is what I did for future reference:

package.json:

"scripts": {
    "capacitor:update:after": "cd scripts/capacitor-cordova-android-plugins && CapacitorCordovaAndroidPlugins",
    "capacitor:sync:after": "cd scripts/capacitor-cordova-android-plugins && CapacitorCordovaAndroidPlugins"
  }

CapacitorCordovaAndroidPlugins.cs:

Where src is the path to the manifest file (for some reason this forum and stackoverflow are having trouble posting with that string)

using System;
using System.IO;
using System.Text.RegularExpressions;

namespace CapacitorCordovaAndroidPlugins {
    public class App {
        [STAThread]
        static void Main() {
            string src = "";

string content = File.ReadAllText(src);
            string pattern = @"(<receiver .*(?<!android:exported=""false""))(?=>)";
            string replacement = @"$1 android:exported=""false""";

content = Regex.Replace(content, pattern, replacement);

File.WriteAllText(src, content);
        }
    }
}