Accessing ionic built site via browser on an ios device

If you make a fairly simple ionic 3 app/site (e.g., the ionic conference app) and deploy it to a server so it can be externally accessed via the web, and thus we are somewhat in the realm of a PWA, what should we expect to see in terms of similarities and differences between what the user experience would be in the browser on an iOS device vs. what the user experience would be if deployed as an app and accessed as an app on an iOS device?

And what tips are there, if any, for enhancing the web experience of an ionic 3 site when accessed via a browser on iOS?

Since at present I am unable to find good references for what the expectations are around this, I thought the forum might be a good place.

Not much. Of course it’s not an app, but the actual in app functionality should be identical (excluded everything Cordova which will not be available).

Best enhancement would be a timemachine to jump to Ionic v4 which will improve stuff a lot.
But because this is not possible: Optimize size. Smaller apps are faster and neater. Use ionic build --prod to build, google for articles on improving the PWA built with Ionic.

@Sujan12 - Thanks for the insights.
Here is a more specific version of the question that I should have asked the first time…

On my windows 10 machine, I can run an ionic project in Chrome, and use Chrome’s emulator to mimic an iOS device, Android device, or the vanilla “Responsive” view.

Would the default view in the browser on iOS look like the Chrome emulator does when it emulates an iOS device, or would the default view in the browser on the iOS device be the same as the Chrome emulator’s “Responsive” view?

Chrome user agent switcher actually simulates an iOS browser or Android browser.

1 Like

@Sujan12 - Do you mean chrome on iOS automatically simulates an iOS browser?

The context of the question was supposing a person with an iOS device such as an iPhone opens an ionic 3 built website with the browser on their iPhone (most likely Safari - http://www.zdnet.com/article/which-browser-is-most-popular-on-each-major-operating-system/).

Chrome just switches the user agent and sets the size. This “simulates” the iPhone Safari browser, yes. (It doesn’t simulate missing or additional features, but this is not required here anyway).

So yes, if you simulate an iPhone 6 in Chrome it should look identical to how it would look like on a iPhone 6 in Safari.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.